Saturday 22 December 2012

11 weeks post-op... An update


Hi bloggers, sorry I've been away for so long, I've only just got the internet at my flat, but I have been keeping up with everyone else's blogs... been having a sneaky look while I've been at work!


So...I'm just over 11 weeks post-op! Can't believe it was that long ago. It's starting to feel like a distant memory now rather than something I live with everyday. I've been taking photos every week, and was going to upload them today but I'm at my mum's house for Christmas and have just realised that I forgot to bring my camera lead with me! But I will put them all up asap.


I haven't seen my family for a few weeks because I've moved quite far away for my new job, and when they saw me they all said that my face has gone down and it looks smaller, which is good. Overall I'm still really happy with my face! I just can't wait to get the braces off now. The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is that I still can only open my mouth about one finger. It is gradually opening more, but it's very gradual, and I'm worried I should be able to do more by now. I also get these sharp pains in my TMJ area, they're quite occassional but also quite painful. I've only started getting those since I started chewing.


That's all I really have to tell... life is becoming more and more normal. I'm just sick of having to take my bands on and off every time I want to eat, and I'm just running out of patience with all the usual brace annoyances like having food stuck in it all the time.


Hope everybody else is doing well, I'll put my photos up soon! Merry Christmas everyone! May 2013 bring happy and healthy jaws!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Sarah
    I am so happy that I found your blog! I'm 22 and I had both of jaws done 30 days ago! Somehow I feel so strange when I look at myself in the mirror, I had a over bite, gummy smile and a really recede chin. My swelling is going down but my cheeks are still puffy, every time when I look at myself in the mirror that's all I can see! Also I look a bit lopsided too. My nose is not the same neither. I would like to ask you how long did it take for your swelling to go down

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey sarah
    i am so happy that i found your blog! i had the exact same problem, an over bite, gummy smile, and a recede chin. i got my uppper and lower jaws done a month ago (23/12/2012) now im on my way to recover! i feel like my face has changed a quite bit, somehow i feel so strange every time when i look at myself in the mirror. i think thats because i look different now and im just not used to that. i still have some swelling going on around my mid-face, around my nose, i also look lopsided. i just want to ask you at this point of recovery, will my face get any smaller? because literally every time when i look at face in the mirror the swelling around my mid-face is all i can see. and how many weeks did it take for your swelling to go down?
    thank you so much for posting your story here! youve helped me so so much!!!

    take care! i hope you have a good Christmas and a safe new year!

    Leigh xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm so happy my blog has been useful to you :) I think I was lucky in the way that I got quite used to my face quite quickly, but I know a lot of people find it difficult to adjust, so don't worry if it all still feels a little bit strange.

    I still have a little bit of swelling even though it's been nearly two months. I was told at the hospital that it can take up to 2 years for your face to completely settle, so please don't think that what you look like now is what you'll look like forever. I was definitely still quite swollen at one month, especially around my mid-face, at each side of my nose. I think that that has mostly gone down now, but I definitely still have slightly puffy cheeks! My face also looks a little bit lopsided, but more in photos than it does in real life. Although these things seem noticeable to you, to anybody else they are minor. If you start looking at other people's faces you'll realise that everybody has slightly wonky noses or lopsided faces - nobody is perfectly symmetrical.

    Feel free to ask me any questions you have, and try not to worry, this is a very slow process and it will take a lot of time to see the final results! Hope you have a lovely Christmas! xxx

    ReplyDelete